Pro Basketball Prospectus 2011-12
Downloadable sample chapters
Introduction by Bradford Doolittle and Kevin Pelton
Foreword by Dwane Casey, Toronto Head Coach
Washington Wizards team chapter
Minnesota Timberwolves player comments
About the Book
Just in time for the start of the season on Christmas Day, the Pro Basketball Prospectus series returns to preview the 2011-12 NBA campaign. Basketball Prospectus has been at the cutting edge of the league's statistical revolution, exploring how teams win and why as well as integrating plenty of old-fashioned tape and first-hand observation to analyze players and teams. Now in its third year, Pro Basketball Prospectus has been called "insistently readable" and "consistently eye-opening" by FreeDarko.
Pro Basketball Prospectus 2011-12 features:
- Essays on all 30 teams updated with all moves since the lockout through Dec. 19
- Five-year team trend tables
- Info-packed tables on every player who saw NBA action in 2011-12 or who can be expected to be seen in the upcoming season, including their advanced stats for the last three seasons, their skill ratings and their contract status
- Commentary on every player
- Team and player contract information and salary-cap analysis
- The results of Kevin Pelton's dynamic SCHOENE projection system, both for players and teams
- Insight from blog authors on their teams
- A foreword by Toronto Raptors head coach Dwane Casey
- Feature essays, including research and analysis by Prospectus contributors Dan Feldman, Neil Paine and Sebastian Pruiti.
"Anyone who reads what Brad and Kevin have put together cannot help but come out a smarter fan on the other end. Basically, if you consider yourself a basketball fan and you are not reading this book, then you ought to turn in your serious fan credentials."
- Daryl Morey, general manager, Houston Rockets
"THE book for any NBA fan - entertaining, massive, featuring innovative ratings and projections. There's new research that breaks ground, often slipped into insightful team or player profiles, and bold predictions (some of which, fortunately, are fallible)."
- Roland Beech, director of quantitative analysis, 2011-12 NBA champion Dallas Mavericks.
"This is partly a reference book, but every NBA fan should sit down with this book before the season and read it cover to cover, like a novel. It's a story of my team, your team, everybody's team, and, no matter how much basketball you watch, will make you look at the game in a way you never have before."
- Will Leitch, contributing editor, New York Magazine; founder, Deadspin; author of God Save the Fan
"Basketball Prospectus is using a lot of the best statistical knowledge on basketball to paint pictures of how NBA teams are evolving--who they were in 2009-10 and who they are becoming in the future."
- Dean Oliver, director, production analytics, ESPN; author of Basketball on Paper
"One of the beautiful parts of NBA basketball is that there's so much more going on than meets the eye. Well, here's all the stuff you can't see--the in-depth statistics, the breakdown of individual players, the reasons why the best teams win in the fourth quarter. Want to know who is the next star, who belongs on the bench, which teams are ready to step up and fall off? This is the place. People say baseball is a sport of statistics, but the Prospectus shows once again that it isn't the sport, it's the analysis that counts."
- Joe Posnanski, senior writer, Sports Illustrated; author of The Soul of Baseball and The Machine
Pro Basketball Prospectus 2011-12
Digital download $9.98 - Buy now!